Thursday, November 13, 2008

Comment Review Day 11.14.2008

Hey everyone,

I couldn't make it in today, but luckily I can write to you on the class blog! How cool is that? First and foremost, I hopefully don't need to explain myself when I say please be respectful to whoever is filling in for me today and get some work done to help boost your grade. Let's reflect back on the last chunk of Dracula we've read, then we'll regroup when I return. Here's what you do, for anyone that needs a refresher on comment review days:

1) Read through all the posts that everyone has written. When you get to the bottom of this page, click the "older posts" link to read more.

2) Write at least FOUR THOUGHTFUL COMMENTS on four different blog posts. You do this by clicking the "_ comments" link at the end of a post. Then you write your thoughtful comment in the window that pops up. Here's what I mean by "thoughtful":

- a detailed response to an opinion you read (why you do or do not agree with the blogger)
- an interpretation of a quote that the blogger wrote down
- bringing up an event/theme/character from the book that a blogger forgot to mention and giving your two cents on why it's important
- giving your detailed opinion about an event/theme/character the blogger did mention, telling us why you think it's important (or maybe why you think it's not as important as something else)
- using one of the vocab words in a sentence that shows me you know what the word means (YOU MAY ONLY DO THIS FOR ONE OF YOUR COMMENTS)

3) Add your initials to the bottom of your comment so I know it was you who wrote it (don't use your name though for safety reasons!)

4) After each comment you write, click "Anonymous," then click "Publish Your Comment"

Thanks! I'm reading through the posts now and a lot of you have some great ideas to respond to. However, if you think a post is missing something important (I can think of a few things!), add it in the comments. The more we have on this blog, I guarantee you the better you'll all do on the test you'll eventually have!

-Mr. Polley

P.S. If you want to discuss the part of the book you read for homework, you may do so in the comments section of this post.

"A brave man's blood is the best thing on this earth when a woman is in trouble. You're a man and no mistake. Well, the devil may work against us for all he's worth, but God sends us men when we want them." -Wacky Old Man Van Helsing (p. 157)

Sexist? Discuss amongst yourselves.