Monday, October 26, 2009

DONNIE DARKO

"Here I am myself-you all know me, the world knows my fame: I am Oedipus." What makes this story is the arrogance and ego of Oedipus, without that there likely wouldn't be a tragedy at all. If he was able to consider what Tiresias was saying and think about it then maybe things would have changed in his story. I'm connecting this play to a movie I really like called Donnie Darko. Much like Oedipus' ego, the main character Donnie is greatly effected by curiosity. Both of these two stories are very entertaining and enjoyable to watch because terrible things are happening to characters which is exciting, but it's not happening to us so we can just sit back and watch comfortably. I think that's what made tragedys so popular back in Ancient Greece, because people could forget about everything bad in their lives and turn their attention to an entertaining story. For Donnie Darko, I think that one reason the author chose a depressing ending over a nice one is because life isn't always happy, someone or somethings not always going to come out and make everything okay again.